Sunday, December 18, 2011

Slow Roast Beef


We grew up with roast beef so we have it frequently.  A little while ago a I found a great Angus sirloin tip roast on special so I picked it up.  It was early enough in the day that I could take more time cooking it so I tried slow roasting at 250º.  I found a spice rub I had all the ingredients for with phenomenal results, it was the best roast I'd ever cooked. It was medium rare all the way through, moist and delicious.  I haven't managed to reproduce the phenomenal taste but I'm beginning to think it's because the first time you go from bland to delicious it raises your expectations so much that the next one will certainly fail to impress even if it's just as good.  Time will tell.

Here is what I used to for the rub.  It makes enough for 2 small roasts if you want to divide it up.  I use fresh oregano and I think it might be because I used a lot more the first time that it was so good.  If you use fresh then you won't be able to divide it up and save it but you can save the dry mix and add your fresh when you cook with it.

1  1/4  tablespoons paprika
1   tablespoon kosher salt
1   teaspoon garlic powder
1/2   teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2   teaspoon onion powder
1/2   teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2   teaspoon dried oregano
1/2   teaspoon dried thyme
2   tablespoons olive oil
1   (3 pound) sirloin tip roast

Mix the oil and herbs and brush or use your hands to coat the entire roast.  Heat up a frying pan and sear all sides of the roast.  Searing is important so get the frying pan hot enough to sear each side in 10 to 30 seconds.  Insert the meat thermometer and put it all in the oven. It will take about 1.5 to 2 hours to cook and it must rest for at least 20 minutes out of the oven so start it early enough. When the temperature hits 135 to 140 it's done. Take it out and let it rest 20 minutes or it will dry out when you slice it.  Slice it thinly and serve with horseradish.


No comments:

Post a Comment