Saturday, January 14, 2012

A delicious new sauce!

The other day I got to the market later than usual and the 4-6 Daily Special was on, 2 fresh pork tenderloins packaged together, half price. So I got 2 tenderloins for $7! I brought them home and put one in brine and the other in a container in the fridge for later in the week.

For dinner last night I took the brined tenderloin and cut it into almost one inch medallions. I chopped up 3 cloves of garlic and a tablespoon of fresh oregano.  One quarter of the garlic and oregano went into the medallions with some oil and salt and pepper.  Slice up 2 or 3 mushrooms and fry them then put them aside.  Put a tablespoon of oil and a teaspoon of flour into a small sauce pan and mix into a smooth paste then turn the heat on a bit more than medium.

I'm assuming you have potatoes and vegetables prepped and started on the stove.  I happened to be pairing this with broccoli which also tasted great with this sauce. While you cook the flour taste off get the chicken stock and white wine ready.  Whisk a couple of tablespoons of stock into the cooked flour, add enough to make a thin paste.  Then whisk in white wine till you have a thin smooth sauce and put it back on the burner.  Add the remaining garlic and start your pork medallions frying while you start boiling down the white wine.

This was the first time I had boiled down wine into a sauce so I was surprised at how acidic it became. I added as much salt as I dared and it was still too sharp. I couldn't add sugar, partner doesn't like sweet sauces, so I added a tablespoon of whipping cream.  That did the trick.  Add the mushrooms and a couple of minutes before serving I added the remaining oregano to the sauce.

I put a little sauce over the tenderloin and a few drops on the broccoli, it was delicious and I will be making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment