Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Vanilla Fudge

It took several tries to get Vanilla Fudge correct.  I didn't know what I was doing at first so it failed.  The recipe I had was misprinted and my fudge failed again. I think there was another failure in there somewhere but in any case, I finally got it right yesterday.

Start with an 8x8 or 9x9 pan and fill with parchment paper that is then sprayed with oil or buttered.  In a pot put

1 cup milk
2 cups sugar

Stir and bring the mixture to a rolling boil and keep it boiling till the temperature hits 114C or 238F, which will take about 10 minutes.  It doesn't need to be stirred constantly but you can scrape the sides of the pot occasionally.

When it gets to temperature take it off the heat and add 1/4 cup of butter and keep stirring it constantly. Once fudge comes off the heat it must be stirred constantly until it cools below the melting point of sugar. The stirring prevents large sugar crystals from forming and making the fudge grainy. When the butter is mixed in add 1 or 2 teaspoons of Vanilla extract and keep stirring.  After a few minutes the fudge mixture will lose it's sheen and this is when you can pour it into the square pan and let it set.


I cut it up on the parchment and place it on the plate then put the bell on it and cut the paper off all around. I'm not sure if the crumbling and white spots are over cooking, I'll try it a little cooler next time.  In any case this stuff is a bit like white chocolate, yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment