Monday, February 22, 2016

Corned Beef and a Cheese Scone



The corned beef is from Mitchell's, Brian makes it up there himself so it's as good as making it myself. I simmered it for 4 hours this time instead of 3 hours and that made a difference, it was soft as butter and a delight to eat. I served it with a dollop of Dijon Mustard.  Mashed potatoes and frozen peas on the side. 

Cheese Scone - Preheat oven to 425F

1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Mix

1/4 cup butter

Cut butter into the flour with pastry cutter till it is like oatmeal. 

3 tbsp sugar
1 cup grated cheddar
1/3 cup milk

Add the milk and use a fork to lift the flour into the milk all around the bowl. Keep mixing till all the flour is taken up. If it's too dry add a little more milk a teaspoon at a time. Form into a ball, flatten and cut into 6 wedges. Place on parchment and bake 13 minutes. Watch them, they are done just before they scorch.



Coleslaw

I bought a bag of coleslaw cut up so all I had to do was make a dressing. I decided to go with mayonnaise based so I got an egg out and separated the yolk. I Whisked in 1/3 cup of oil to make the mayo then added juice from 1/2 a lemon, a pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp Cajun spice mix and a little pepper. It wasn't bad but it was screaming for some fresh garlic. Had I added some it would have been a really good slaw. As it was, we ate it, but neither of us said, 'this is really good!'

No comments:

Post a Comment