Sunday, November 8, 2015

Boston Clam Chowder


I was sitting here with Fern watching tv, trying to feel better and asked "Would you like some Boston Clam Chowder" "Yes." So up to the kitchen I went. I got 4 medium potatoes and 1 carrot, peeled, pared to 1/4 inch cubes and boiled in salted water. While that was cooking I finely diced my last 2 strips of bacon, an onion, a stick of celery and 4 cloves of garlic. I opened an 8 oz. can of clams, reserved the liquid and chopped up the clams. When I had the prep work done, the potatoes were par cooked so I drained them, put them aside and put the pot back on the stove. Some olive oil, a little canola and the 2 strips of bacon. I fried them crispy then added the onion. I caramelized the onion before added the garlic and finally the celery. I gave it a minute to cook and added 2 tsp dried thyme. Add the clams and 2 bay leaves. I cooked that for another minute then removed it from the heat.

I took 2 heaping teaspoons of flour and 1/4 cup butter and melt it. I slowly worked the butter into the flour and whisked it smooth.  I slowly added 2 cups of milk, whisking to avoid lumps. I added this to the pot and turned up the heat. I added the potatoes and carrots. I added more milk and a splash of whipping cream to fill the pot, not sure how much but it was a 4 qt pot. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Taste for salt. I had to add at least a teaspoon. I also added a little mixed ground pepper. While the chowder was finishing I toasted some alpine bread and buttered it. That was lunch, it was delicious and I feel immensely better!

No comments:

Post a Comment