Saturday, November 21, 2015

Cajun Chicken with Caesar Salad


We had roast pork last night, nothing new, I simply forgot to take a picture so I didn't right it up. Tonight Fern asked for Cajun Chicken with Caesar Salad which sounded good to me! I salted and seasoned the breasts with Cajun spice mix, brushed them with oil and BBQ'd them for 25 minutes.

I cut the romaine into pieces and put it in the sink full of water to wash. I got two very small eggs and separated the yolks, washing away the whites down the sink. I poured just under 1/3 cup of olive oil and added canola oil so I had less than half a cup of oil. I find pure olive oil too strong a flavour in the salad so canola tempers it's flavour a bit. Slowly, a teaspoon at a time, whisk the oil into the egg yolk. When all the yolk is taken up, add 1/2 tsp salt, plenty of black pepper, juice from half a lemon, few drops of Worcestershire Sauce and a clove of garlic finely diced. Whisk and taste. I needed more lemon so I juiced the other half of the lemon and added half that juice. It was perfect.

I had croutons from alpine bread that I fried in olive oil to give a nice sear. Half a cup of grated Parmesan cheese ready and I used a salad spinner to get the water off the Romaine. First I tossed the salad in the dressing then added the croutons and slowly while tossing, the Parmesan. I plated the chicken separately and put dabs of mayonnaise beside it. It was a very nice meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment