Sunday, November 8, 2015

Breaded Chicken Breast


I have a terrible cold with fever over a hundred but managed to put this together for our dinner.  Fern is sick too, not quite as bad. I put alpine bread crumbs in a plastic bag and added poultry seasoning and mixed ground pepper. I salted each breast first then shook it in the bag to coat.  I forgot to do this but rubbing a little butter on top will brown it better. I put it on a baking sheet and put it in a 375F oven for 30 minutes. The BBQ is faster but harder to get a nice colour on the breading, other than black.

The rice was done in the microwave with salt, olive oil and a few drops of vinegar. Vegetable medley was a caramelized diced onion, 5 mushrooms sliced and seared, a green pepper diced and frozen peas mostly cooked in the microwave, cooled quickly so they finish cooking in the pan. They go in just before serving. To the cooked vegetables I dusted flour over the pan, toss to coat evenly. Cook the flour taste off for a minute then add chicken stock. This is where I realized the stock I just bought at Walmart was tampered with. So I used a packet of chicken stock and about 3/4 cup water. I reduced the stock to a nice gravy. Added the peas. Added some pepper and a few drops of Chinese Fish Sauce. Stir it in and serve. The Fish Sauce leaves an incredible flavour but it cooks off fast in a cloud that smells like dirty socks. So add it, toss and plate.

I squeezed out some mayonnaise onto the chicken. If I'd thought about it I could have made the mayo point the other way so it would harmonize with the shape of the breast. That alpine bread really tastes good as breading or as croutons. The vegetables were the star on this plate, every bite was delicious. That's what the fish sauce does. It took me about 35 minutes to make this. I could have done it in 25 if I'd been feeling better.






No comments:

Post a Comment