Thursday, September 22, 2016

Liver, Bacon and Onions


First I cooked the bacon till crisp then removed from the pan. Then I caramelized two thinly sliced onions and removed them from the pan. The liver was soaking in milk for a couple of hours. I drained it, dredged in flour and fried in the pan with a bit of salt. When the liver was done the bacon was chopped and went back in the pan with the onion to reheat. 

Mashed potatoes were peeled, boiled, drained, mashed, buttered, milked, salted and whipped with a fork. Over working potatoes turns them into a thick unpalatable paste.

Broccoli was steamed, cooled under running water and reheated in olive oil with a pinch of salt.

French's Tomato Ketchup is the condiment. It's every bit as good as Heinz and uses Canadian tomatoes. I have loved liver with ketchup since I was a small child. I know, it's weird, maybe that's why I'm gay.

Soaking liver in milk does improve the flavour but I'm not sure it actually removes excess iron. Did you know after eating liver your blood will show signs of iron toxicity so don't eat a lot of it or too often. I serve about 150gms (5oz) each and I try to not have it more than once a month. 

Despite the mild ferrous poisoning it was a delicious meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment