Friday, December 11, 2015

Beef Eye of Round Roast


A large roast is significantly cheaper than the same amount of ground beef. So I bought a big eye of round to cook up for the dog and give us a good feed too. Notice how there is no fat in the meat? If it's not cooked right it will be dry and tough. To cook it right it has to be slow cooked under low heat. Normally I would put it in a 220F oven for several hours but it was already 3:30pm so I set the oven to 275F and hoped for the best. 

The roast was ready almost exactly when I wanted it and it was perfectly cooked and juicy. I set it on the counter under foil to cool while everything else finished cooking. It leaked juice all over the counter and I spilled a bunch on the floor so it got all sticky. I had to wash the floor this morning but it was worth it. The meal was fantastic.  I had seared the roast in a frying pan first then put the whole thing in the oven.  

Lots of pan drippings left so I made that wonderful gravy with butter, flour and milk. Sprinkle flour over the dripping on medium heat and cook the flour taste off. You need about a heaping teaspoon of flour per cup of milk. I used about a quarter cup butter, 1 cup milk and I also put a few drops of rice vinegar. (food tastes better with a little acid)

It was great and Fern loved a roast for  change. We haven't had one for ages, I'll have to change than.

No comments:

Post a Comment