Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Salisbury Steak


Fern was asking for beef, which is unusual, so I bought 500gm of ground beef. When his new teeth grow in I'll get him a fillet. A tray of mushrooms was on clearance for .99 so I picked that up. I had potatoes, carrots, broccoli and celery at home.

I added a teaspoon of salt, some black pepper and the last of the bread crumbs, maybe a tablespoon, to the beef and mixed it by hand. Then formed two nice steaks and put them in the frying pan.  I got a good sear on both sides then put them on a small baking sheet and popped them in the oven @ 375F for 10 minutes more or about 20 minutes total cooking time. I stuck a thermometer in one then gave them 3 more minutes and they were perfect. Cooked but still juicy.

Mashed potatoes - peel, chop, salt, boil, drain, mash, butter, milk and don't over work them.

Sliced carrot went in the steamer while I cut up the broccoli, then the broccoli went in.  After about 3 or 4 minutes the broccoli was just softening so I ran it all under cold water to stop cooking. Drain. 5 minutes before serving put them in the dry pot with olive oil and salt and keep tossing them with the lid on till they warm up and finish cooking, med-low heat.

In the meat frying pan, sear the mushrooms with plenty of oil then get the celery diced in there. Add two tablespoons of butter a heaping teaspoon of flour over the whole mess and stir it in. This cooks off the flour taste. Then slowly add a cup of water, stirring, and a teaspoon of beef stock powder. (or use a cup of beef stock) Add a few drops of red wine vinegar, acid brings out the flavour in foods. Let it simmer and reduce while you finish everything and start plating. I slathered gravy all over my potatoes and meat. It was wonderful.  Even Fern said it was really good. The key here was keeping it simple and bringing out the inherent flavours instead of adding them.


No comments:

Post a Comment