Saturday, May 19, 2012

Can't Be Beat Burrito

Again no photos, hopefully one day I'll remember I have a camera in the phone in my pocket. In any case, it started with making really good chicken stock. It tastes phenomenal.  I fried a diced onion to golden then put a pound of ground angus beef in the pan and seared it then turned down the heat.  I added at least 4 tablespoons of  taco seasoning and about an ounce or two of chicken stock.  While that was cooking down I made a salsa with diced fresh tomato, a slice of red onion , a jalapeno pepper (seeds and membranes removed), Italian parsley (my partner doesn't like cilantro), fresh lime juice and salt and pepper. After the salsa I mashed up my 3 for 99 cent over ripe avocados, added some salt and fresh lime juice to make guacamole.  Finally, I grated some cheddar cheese.

A pad of butter in a frying pan and a flat bread on top. When it was hot I took it out.  Not exactly what I was thinking of but too late to change now so I set the dry side on a plate.  I laid a strip of meat mixture, a strip of grated cheddar and a few leaves of baby lettuce and arugula onto the buttered flat bread and rolled it up.  I spooned some fresh salsa over the Burrito followed by a strip of guacamole. A few dollops of sour cream over top, chopped chives to garnish and serve.  It was delicious!  I could taste the butter but it melded with the other flavors.  The chicken stock gave such a beautiful background flavor that the other ingredients really sang. It was the first time my partner really enjoyed Mexican style food, he took the leftovers to work next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment