Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Round Roast with Greek Salad


Round roast beef was on sale, so were English cucumbers. It's our guest's last night before flying home so a really good meal was in order.  Usually I buy Angus beef but there weren't any roasts out, let alone any on sale, so I decided to see what I could do with the regular beef.  It was about a 4 pound roast with the same thickness it's entire length so it would cook evenly. I used my Beef Rub with about 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh golden oregano.  I find the new yellow tips  of golden oregano are really sweet compared to greek oregano. I put my rub, oregano and at least a tablespoon of oil in a small bowl and mixed it into a paste.  Then I evenly coated the whole roast in the paste and seared all surfaces in the hot roasting pan. When all sides were sealed I put the rack back in the pan, set the roast on it, inserted the meat thermometer and put it all in a 250ᵒ oven. It took over two hours to cook so at this point I had an hour relax.

An hour before the roast should be ready I peeled potatoes and readied the broccoli and carrots.  I decided to make a Greek salad with the English cucumber(the skin of these long thin cucumbers is not bitter so they don't need to be peeled). I finely diced a thin slice of red onion, 2 tomatoes, 5 inches of cucumber and 2 tablespoons of Italian parsley. I halved several black olives, crumbled feta cheese (cow feta) over top and whisked up a dressing of 1/3 extra virgin olive oil 2/3 other vegetable oil, the juice of half a lime and a pinch of salt. It tasted great!

The roast was delicious despite being the cheaper beef. It didn't have that distinctive Angus flavor but everything else was there and lifted it up to it's full potential. I put a little chicken stock in the potatoes and vegetables while they were cooking and that really bumped up their flavor as well.  Broccoli and carrots were the vegetables de jour. I served everyone large portions and every scrap was eaten before the dogs got to lick the plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment