Friday, March 11, 2016

Liver, Onions, Perogies, Asparagus and Hollandaise


Hollandaise did not belong on this plate, but asparagus was on sale and so was liver so what is one to do? Maybe having the asparagus after the main course as sort of a salad course would have made more sense. Probably a different protein was the best choice but I love liver, onions and perogies so to me, it was a plate from a slightly confused heaven.

To put it all together I caramelized the onion on medium low heat for about 20 minutes to really develop the flavour then removed them from the pan. I salted and floured the liver and laid it in plenty of oil in the hot pan. Liver should be pink in the middle or it's a bit dry. 1-2 minutes each side is usually enough. Once both sides were done I removed the liver and put the perogies and onions in. A quick toss to warm up and spread the flavour over the perogies is all it takes. Plate with a blob of tomato ketchup on the side. For me ketchup and liver belong together.

The perogies were frozen, boiled till they float, drained and tossed with the onions. Asparagus was steamed. 

Hollandaise

1 egg yolk - I've finally gotten used to flushing the white down the drain and using only the yolk!
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 tsp water
pinch salt
1/3 cup butter melted, not hot

Whisk melted butter into egg yolk slowly till it's all incorporated. Add water, lemon and salt and whisk. If it curdles it's ok, the curds will melt when it heats up. Put on double boiler or induction element for a minute or two till it bubbles and thickens. Pour over asparagus. It takes me about two minutes to put Hollandaise together now, it really is easy. I made this meal just for me, Fern is still in Hawaii. It is worth the effort making a wonderful meal just for yourself. You don't need company to enjoy good food and you deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment