Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Faux Shake'n Bake


At 5:10 I was watching the early news and Fern asked if we could eat at 6pm? I'll try! I had bone in, skin on chicken thighs that I wanted to bread and bake, hopefully making them taste better than a commercial coating mix. They would take 40 minutes to cook. Working fast as I could I mixed 

2 tsp flour
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground garlic
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning

coat the chicken in the seasoning mixture and set aside. I had 4 thighs. I added 1/4 cup milk to the leftover seasoning mix and dipped the coated pieces in it then rolled them in panko type bread crumbs. Place on oiled sheet and bake at 375-400F for 40 minutes.

Rice, salt, olive oil and water and into the microwave. The stir fry vegetables were simple. I boiled the carrots in the frying pan for a few minutes till they started to soften then added the frozen peas. The peas cooked for about 2 minutes then I drained and cooled the lot under running water.  Olive and sesame oil in the pan then a diced onion and stick of celery. Sweat them then add the carrot and peas back in. A small dash of soy sauce and toss till everything is heated through. Serve over the rice.

The chicken was delicious and Fern asked me to make it again, soon. He got the Shake'n Bake connection but said it tasted much better. 

Finally I beat Shake'n Bake. Took long enough. @ 5:50 Fern asked if he had 15 minutes to run to the drug store. Yup, that will help! so dinner was served at 6:15, a few minutes late but Fern was ready to go out at 7pm as he wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment