Sunday, October 30, 2016

Deer Liver with Bacon and Onion


Kevin shot a deer on his latest hunting trip and he brought us the liver. Fresh liver from a young deer is sweet and tender without a hint of gaminess. I tried to cut the veins out first without much success. Slicing it up and then cutting out the veins was more successful. Then I soaked the slices in salted milk for 30 minutes or so while I was getting everything else ready. I cooked up some bacon ends and caramelized an onion then removed them from the pan. I let the liver drain for a few seconds before dropping in the flour. Coated it and laid it on the counter. When the pan was hot I laid it all in the pans at once. It took two pans. 

The potatoes were boiled in salted water, drained and buttered. The peas were frozen, cooked in the microwave and finished with salt and pepper. Ordinary tomato ketchup is the condiment. 

It was really good. If you get a chance to try a fresh deer liver, take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment