Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Angus filet with snow peas and Prawns


Yesterday the 'Appy Hour special at the supermarket was a two pound bag of frozen cleaned raw prawns for $10. Usually I only buy fresh, but prawns can survive freezing without losing all of their flavor and the convenience would be great so I bought a bag. Today was a beef day but there wasn't a nice roast on sale so I decided to splurge and buy the best.  Three filets of Angus beef cost me 5 times what I usually pay for protein, I better not screw them up! I seasoned them with my Beef Rub and paired them with carrots and snow peas from the garden.


Once I had everything prepped I decided to blanch the vegetables then cool them and finish them in garlic butter.  Why not try a few of those prawns too? I got a handful from the freezer and put them under cold running water.  I started the potatoes and had the BBQ heated up and on HI.  I put the steaks on 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes, turn over 2 minutes rotate, 2 minutes and they're done with perfect grill marks


When the steaks were half done I put the prawns in the hot pan with butter, garlic, salt and pepper. When the prawns were almost done I added the carrots and peas and took the steaks and potatoes off the BBQ.  I just plopped it all on the plate since I thought I was doing well getting two hot proteins on the plate.


The steak was perfect and melted in my mouth.  The vegetables were the best I've done in a while, the pros know what they're doing!  Baked potato, hard to screw up. The prawns were delicious and a welcome addition to my menu. Fern's mother finished everything on her plate except a prawn which she shared with the dogs. She liked it.


I also made banana bread and a batch of chocolate nut fudge but I'm too tired to brag.

No comments:

Post a Comment