Friday, July 6, 2012

Real Strawberry Shortcake


I always thought strawberry shortcake meant those sponge cakes but I was mislead.  Shortcake is actually a cake dough baked on a sheet.  Here's the recipe I used:

2 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
1 cup milk

Cut the butter into the dry ingredients till it is a coarse meal. Add the milk in the center and stir with a fork till it is a ball of dough.  Divide in two and flatten each half on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 450º for 18 to 20 minutes. That makes two thick pancakes which I sliced in half horizontally to make 4 layers of cake.

I sliced up most of the strawberries and mixed in some fine sugar but not too sweet.  A cup of whipping  cream was enough although my partner said it needed more. More might have made it unstable. Anyway the pieces held together on the plate and it tasted great!


No comments:

Post a Comment