Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Corned Beef


Rarely do I have a meal two weeks in the making but that is what this one took.  I started with a beef brisket, Morton's Curing Salt, pickling spice and a vacuum sealer. Follow the instructions on the bag of salt but I think it was one tablespoon curing salt per cup water.  I brought the brine to a boil and let it cool down then put it in a sealer bag with a tablespoon of pickling spice and the meat.  Suck the air out and seal it up or use a zip lock baggie. Set it in the fridge and turn it over every two days.  In two weeks  maximum it's done.  Drain, quickly rinse the salt water off, cover with water and simmer for 3 hours at least. Or drain, reseal and freeze.

The turnips were cooked with a carrot.  I put the carrot in after the turnip had cooked for twenty minutes. I diced the turnip up into half inch or less cubes so it would cook faster, it took about 50 minutes. Mashed with a little salt and butter then a few drops of lime juice to finish. My partner said next time lose the lime, so I guess where lemon will work, lime might not.

Mashed potatoes hopefully anyone can do but if someone needs a recipe add milk and butter to the mashed potatoes, a little salt if needed and whip with a fork. Don't overwork potatoes or they turn into a thick unpalatable paste.

The snow peas are fresh from the garden.  I steamed them then tossed them in butter with a few drops of lime juice.  Usually I just use Dijon mustard for the condiment but tonight I mixed a little honey into it and called it a sauce. It was all gone at the end so I guess it was good.  The corned beef was of course the best we've had in years.


No comments:

Post a Comment