Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Moose Roast


Our gardener gave us a moose roast so we had him over for moose dinner tonight.  He gave me his mother's recipe which was a marinade.

1 can beef bouillon  (I used a liter/quart)
1 cup water
1 cup red wine
1 8oz can tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp thyme

Marinate the moose roast overnight.

Then I salted and floured the roast and seared it all around then put it in a 300ºF oven.  It took 90 minutes to cook just past medium rare.

Turnips I started an hour before serving time and put two carrots in for the last half hour. Mashed potatoes are standard nothing special.  The peas are from the garden and these are the very first peas I have ever podded before cooking. It was worth the effort. So much more flavor than frozen. I smeared horseradish on my meat before remembering to take a photo. I did remember to put chives on the potatoes and I even managed to have chopped parsley to garnish everything.  It dawned on me last night watching Chopped why my plating is so terrible.

This dish is 4 separate foods cooked differently and all put on the same plate together. Of course they don't form a cohesive dish so they all sit there crowded together but not uniting. I have eaten meals like this all my life so it's going to be difficult to change but it has to happen if I am going to put out a beautiful plate. That will take a lot more thought to plan not just a protein but a whole cohesive plate where everything works together. Hopefully it gets easier as I learn, but it took quite a bit just to recognize the problem.

Anyway, the meat was delicious as were the veggies and taters even if it looks ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment