Saturday, July 21, 2012

Nachos with Salsa



A mid movie snack, depending on your knife skills this can be a very quick dish to prepare and serve.  I don't like the airy watery mess created by electric blenders making salsa.  Finely dicing everything by hand gives the best result and is worth the effort. I started with the tomatoes then moved on to the jalapeno.  I used to take the seeds and membranes out to cut the heat a bit but last time my partner said I should leave them in.  This time I put half the seeds in and the result was little hotter than leaving them out so it's really only the aesthetic that matters. I also chopped up a thin slice of red onion and some fresh cilantro or parsley if, like me, that's all you've got.

I juiced a lime and added that with salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp cumin to the salsa. I turned on the toaster oven to warm up to 300º and started grating some cheddar cheese.  I put layers of taco chips and cheese  in the pan and stacked it up to a respectable height then popped it in the toaster oven. A regular oven would work just fine but it takes more than twice as long to warm up. When the cheese was melted inside the pile the chips were done and I took them out.

The salsa was fresh and delicious. The melted cheese on the sesame taco chip, irresistible. It was all so good it made the movie seem like a first run feature.



No comments:

Post a Comment