Monday, May 23, 2016

Country Breaded Chicken Breast with Garlic Butter Broccoli and Rice


I had to use up the broccoli and it had to be something new. Fern was sick of plain old broccoli. I decided to steam it and serve it in a buttery chicken gravy with garlic and celery. The chicken breast I salted and seasoned with pepper and poultry seasoning. Then coated with flour, dipped in milk and rolled in multi grain bread crumbs.  I sprayed oil over the breading so it would brown. Into the oven at 325F for 10 minutes then I turned it up to 400F for 10 minutes to get some browning.  It browned a little. Plain old Hellmann's Mayonnaise beside the chicken.

The rice just has salt and a teaspoon of olive oil. I steamed the broccoli and cooled it under running water while it was still crisp. I emptied the boiler and added an ounce of butter and splash of olive oil. I got that hot and added two good size cloves of garlic diced finely. When that was smelling really good I added a diced stick of celery and cooked it a minute. I added 1/2 teaspoon of chicken stock powder, 1/2 teaspoon flour and stirred it in. Cook the flour taste off. Remove from heat and stir in an ounce of water then return to burner. Bring to a boil and reduce if it's too watery. Add the broccoli and reheat in the gravy.  Serve.

The garlic butter over powered the broccoli, which is what I wanted. It also flavoured the rice and leant a nice richness to the chicken breast. It was a real treat. We'll definitely have this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment