Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Pork Souvlaki with Ratatouille and New Potatoes


Pork Souvlaki from Mitchell's, it tastes good and it's easy to cook. Usually I use it to slap a meal on the table as quickly as possible but this time I decided to try a little harder. I brushed the pork with oil and BBQ'd it as usual, that was easy.  Instead of rice I decided on new potatoes at the last minute. I put them on to boil and that left just the ratatouille.

I took a slice of cabbage so it would be like shredded. Two tomatoes diced. Half a green pepper diced. One stick celery diced, a small carrot and an onion diced. I sweated the onion and carrot first. Next went in the green pepper, celery and cabbage. I softened the pepper a bit then sprinkled half a teaspoon of vegetable stock over the pan followed by the same of flour. Stir that a minute to let the flour taste cook off. Then add the tomatoes and an ounce of water. Bring to a simmer and reduce as the tomatoes release water. I put a few sprigs of fresh thyme and one of rosemary in the pan at this point with some salt and mixed pepper. 

I plated the souvlaki with a dollop of sour cream, that was a nice addition. The ratatouille was wonderful. Fern doesn't usually like a wet plate like that but it tasted so good he just kept slurping it up. The potatoes were a great change from rice and went really well with the ratatouille. It took an extra ten minutes to prep the vegetables but it was worth it. I'll do this again.



No comments:

Post a Comment