Saturday, May 28, 2016

Pineapple Coconut Prawn Curry


In the morning Fern asked for Prawns and Pasta for dinner. Mid afternoon he was reading his post-op instructions and it said, lay off tomato sauce, too acid. "I could make curry instead?" I offered. Fern liked that idea and I ran back to the store to get coconut milk and pineapple pieces. 

I caramelized a diced onion then got a little colour on both sides of the prawns and removed them from the pan. Then I sweated a diced carrot, stick of celery and green pepper. I sprinkled two teaspoons of curry powder over all and added the coconut milk. It needs to be reduced, that's why the prawns came out, I don't want to boil them to rubber. When the coconut milk is reduced to a sauce, add the prawns and finish cooking them, a couple of minutes at most. Add 1/2 a cup of pineapple tidbits and 1/4 cup juice from the can. Taste for salt. I added more juice to sweeten the heat in the curry. I let that reduce while I plated rice then spooned the curry over top.

For a last minute change, this was pretty good and Fern didn't realize it would be prawn curry, he liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment