Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Beef Stew


I wanted to stew up the remains of that last roast beef.  I picked up a turnip, celeriac (celery root), green pepper and mushrooms to add to potatoes, carrots, celery and onion I already had.  (I should have picked up a baguette too but completely forgot.)  I diced up the onion and fried it golden on medium heat.  The meat I sliced thinly then cut each slice into thin strips then added it to the onions.  Once the meat was browned a bit I added the celery, carrots, turnips, celeriac and green pepper.  I sprinkled flour over the sweating vegetables, mixed it in and cooked it a bit.

When the vegetables had softened I added about 2 cups of beef stock.  I sliced up the mushrooms and added them with some frozen peas to the pot.  I added a little salt and no spices as I wanted to see how much the beef spiced the dish.  Not enough as it turned out so next time I'll add some paprika and cayenne to bring out the flavors that have been developed.  Overall it was a delicious stew and I am just heating up  a bit for lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment