Monday, February 20, 2012

Venison Roast

Our hunter friend hinted it was time to have him over for dinner of a roast venison he provided from his latest kill. It was my first dinner party since taking cooking seriously so I didn't want to experiment, it had to be good.  I decided to just use my roast beef rub and slow cook the venison at 250ºF.

It was delicious!  Tender, not gamy, the heat of the rub complemented the delicate flavor.  I served it with mashed potatoes, carrots, peas and corn.  The peas and corn were frozen but it is February and this is Canada! This meal I concentrated on having everything ready at the same time so nothing was mushy or cold.  It all came together well and I managed to get all four plates out with hot food properly cooked. I did the best I could with the plating but it still looks a bit cafeteria.



Some chopped chives might have been nice.  A nice wine reduction would have enhanced the dish as well.  Next time I will do a reduction and remember to garnish.


No comments:

Post a Comment