Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cleaning out the fridge

I found that I had some pineapple chunks and half a can of coconut milk sitting in the fridge.  I had boneless chicken breasts for dinner so what to make with it all?  My partner doesn't like sweet things for dinner so sweet and sour was out. Curry is always nice, so is ginger.  Can I combine curry with ginger? Let's find out.

I'll use the pineapple, coconut milk and ginger to make a sauce and season the chicken with curry powder.    I put some rice on to cook and put a teaspoon of curry powder in small bowl.  I added a pinch of cayenne and some salt then seasoned the breasts with the curry mixture. Next I seared them on both sides then popped them in a 375º oven for 25-30 minutes.

For the sauce I made a bit of roux in a pan and thinned it with chicken stock. I tipped in the coconut milk and chopped up the pineapple chunks and put them in.  I probably put only a teaspoon of pineapple juice as it has lots of sugar, but I wanted the flavor.  I put a bit of ground ginger in with a bit of salt and a dash of rice wine vinegar.  I gave it a taste and thought "it's not bad but it could be better."  I wondered if a little garlic powder would help so put a pinch in. It didn't help but didn't ruin it. Better leave it alone and hope the curry on the chicken pops the delicious out.

I put a bit of sauce on the plate into which I sat the breast and added a little more sauce over top.   Rice and broccoli with carrots rounded out the meal. The sauce brought what the curry needed and the curry brought what the sauce needed so together they tasted good. Not great but it was a successful experiment. I had two components that together tasted better than either one alone. I think next time fresh ginger might make it a little smoother.



No comments:

Post a Comment