Thursday, February 23, 2012

Oatmeal cinnamon raisin chocolate chip cookies

Dinner was cajun snapper with lemon butter white wine sauce. Nothing new there but I did make a batch of cookies this afternoon.  I wanted something high fiber so I decided on oatmeal. My Joy of Cooking has great recipes to use as a starting point so I looked up Oatmeal Cookies.  I've used the recipe before and it's good but boring.

I looked through the options, raisins yes, chocolate chips ok.  The batter is a bit one dimensional so I'll add a teaspoon of cinnamon to it. I wasn't sure how the chocolate and cinnamon would play together so I was eager to try one.  While still warm the chocolate was liquid and the cookie not crisp and the cinnamon didn't go with the gooey chocolate chips. I let them cool and tasted again.  When they are cool and crisp the chocolate plays well with the cinnamon and the cookies are no longer bland. Yeah!

Here's the whole recipe in case you don't have Joy of Cooking.

Preheat oven to 350º.

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Cream the butter then cream the brown sugar and white sugar.  Beat in the egg then milk and vanilla.  Add the cup of flour and you can switch to a dough hook now if the batter is getting too thick.  Add remaining dry ingredients then the raisins and chocolate chips. Drop onto cookie sheets and bake 10-12 minutes.  I use parchment paper under cookies because I use a ceramic cookie sheet and a pizza stone instead of metal sheets.  The paper prevents flavors transferring between ceramic and cookie and prevents them from sticking. They take longer to bake on ceramic but you'll love the results.  Makes about 2 dozen.

I just had another cookie and I think the chocolate chips should be left out next time.

I made a batch with dates and they were wonderful! Great source of fibre too.

A batch with chopped apricots and no cinnamon were delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment