Thursday, April 18, 2013

Honey Mustard Pork Tenderloin Medallions


Pork tenderloin was on special so I found a small one for under $5 and headed home.  I wanted to try something completely different this time so I started caramelizing a diced onion. When the onions had great color and flavor I took them from the pan.  

I cut the tenderloin into 1 inch/25mm pieces and pounded each piece a little so they were uniform thickness. Then I seasoned them with salt and added a little flour. Not sure why I floured them but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I tried to add a little more salt after the flour but it wouldn't stick.  I put the medallions in the hot pan the onions were in and turned to the mashed potatoes.

I made only carrots as a cooked vegetable because I decided to make a little rocket salad on the side. I got fresh chives and the larger rocket leaves and a few lettuce leaves to fill it out. The chives I diced and put in the mashed potatoes and I tore the salad greens up into pieces. I whisked up a little oil and red balsamic vinegar for a dressing and tossed it all together.

I turned over the pork medallions and when they had a nice sear I put the onions back in the pan to heat again.  I plated the onions and the medallions on top.  To top the pork I made

Honey Mustard Sauce

1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
pinch cayenne

if it's still too bitter add a little more honey.  

Fern absolutely loved the onions and liked the sauce.  The big surprise of the evening was how good the fresh chives made the potatoes taste! Cut some fresh chives and mix them into mashed potatoes, it's really good!

The onion, meat and sauce all combined nicely to my taste but Fern was a little less certain. He said he liked it but he wasn't ebullient about it.  The greens were welcome although they were bigger than a garnish but not quite a salad. I think next time I'll use walnut oil and toasted walnuts in the salad.

I'm still under seasoning my meat. I think this time it was the flour that prevented it from sticking. I have got to make sure I get enough salt on my meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment