Friday, April 26, 2013

Pork Chops


It was too late in the day to start boning chicken so I had pork in mind before I left for the store. Once there I spotted a nice boneless leg of lamb for only $14.50/kg.  That is half the usual price, I guess spring lamb is in season in spring, who knew? So I picked it up for next evening and found a package of pork chops for tonight's dinner.

I paired the chops with mashed potatoes, broccoli and carrots.  (I cleverly ate my carrots before taking the photo. Double duh!)  I put potatoes on to cook and readied the steamer with the carrots. I prepped the broccoli so it can be added quickly at the right time. I also grabbed some chives from the deck along with a chive bloom to garnish each plate.

I salted the chops and then in a small sieve combined 2 tsp flour, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/2 tsp paprika and ground mixed peppercorns. I mixed it up a bit and tapped the sieve over the meat to evenly coat both sides. I sprinkled a little brown sugar over the chops then put them in plenty of hot oil a bit over medium heat. The edges of the chops weren't coated so I could watch the meat whiten as it cooked up from the pan.  When it reached the center I turned the chops over and again watched the progress. When it reaches the center, the meat still needs another minute or two to cook the center of the chop. Plate the chops and let them rest.

When the broccoli and carrots were almost done I drained them and put them in the pot on the burner with xv olive oil and a little salt. The oil needs to cook a minute or two to smooth the flavor. I plated the potatoes, then the carrots and broccoli then finally scissored some chives over the potatoes and left a chive flower to garnish the center.

Usually I put Fern's ketchup on pork but I forgot. Fortunately the meat was juicy enough that I didn't miss it.  It feels weird eating a flower but it tastes good and we both really enjoyed this meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment