Monday, April 15, 2013

I cleaned the BBQ Southwest Chicken


I finally scraped the inside of the BBQ clean. I put the three heavy stainless grill sections in the dishwasher expecting them to come out clean like in the commercial. Oven cleaner would have been a better start but at least the dishwasher broke the surface of the baked on grease.  I used a putty knife to scrape the grill more or less clean.

I salted and then seasoned the boneless chicken breasts with:

Southwest Rub

2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
4 tsp kosher salt (1 tbsp + 1 tsp)
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp cayenne

I sprayed the meat with oil but didn't pound it flat this time, I wanted it to hold together on the grill. My BBQ has 3 burners and I turn the two end ones on and leave the middle off.  I aim for 350ºF inside the BBQ. The breasts go over low flame for 2-4 minutes then rotate them and wait another 2-4 minutes.   Turn the breasts over and wait 2-4 minutes, rotate them and wait 2-4 minutes then put them in the middle off the flame so they will roast for a total cooking time of 25-30 minutes. That will produce fully  cooked but still moist chicken.

Ordinary mashed potatoes, salt, milk and butter.  Don't over process mashed potatoes or they turn to paste. The carrots and asparagus were done together in the steamer then finished in the pot with extra virgin olive oil on medium low heat. To prep asparagus simply hold the bottom end between to fingers and bend the stalk over till it snaps.  It will break where the fibrous part ends. Use the ends in stock or discard.

I sprinkled a few drops of lemon juice over the meat before plating the vegetables and potatoes.  It all came out quite wonderful. I had forgotten how good things can taste from the BBQ, it's nice to have it back in operation.




No comments:

Post a Comment