Saturday, April 27, 2013

Leg of Lamb


As I mentioned the other day, lamb was down in price to the same as beef so I snapped up a lovely boneless roast. I had no idea how to cook lamb so I got advice from Fern and this is what I did:

Season with plenty of salt, mixed pepper and paprika all around. Lay roast on a rack in a pan and put a few bay leaves on top.  Lay a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme and fresh rosemary on top of the roast and bay leaves. Put a meat thermometer into the center of the meat.  Put in center of 325ºF oven for about 90 minutes for a 4lb roast. I took the roast out when internal temperature reached 150ºF.

Mashed potatoes with salt and milk, easy enough for a anyone to make.  Carrots were fresh but the peas frozen and I cooked them together in the microwave with a little water and extra virgin olive oil. I even went into the garden and got fresh mint which I chopped up finely and mixed with rice vinegar and a little sugar, instant mint sauce.

Scary as it was to attempt this for the first time, it really was pretty easy.  The taste was phenomenal so I definitely will have lamb again. Let's see now, spring lamb is in season in .... spring! That should be easy enough to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment