Saturday, October 6, 2012

Beer Batter Green Ling Cod with chips


Yesterday one of our friends took one of our house guests fishing and he came home with a 5.5lbs Green Ling Cod. They left this morning so they didn't get a chance to join in the feast they provided.  Another friend came over providing it was beer batter fish and chips.  I've made french fries several times in the deep fryer but never anything battered.  It was with a little trepidation that I approached this meal.

First I had to take the fillets off the fish.  I haven't tried to do that since I was nine and back then I probably wasn't good at it. I sharpened my knives and set to work.  Slice down to the bone along the back, cut the meat from the ribs and clean up the bottom end. There were a few smalls bones to pull. One diner found one small bone, so I did a fairly good job.

Beer Batter

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp cumin
1 bottle beer

I did the fries first. 3 minutes at 325º then 3 minutes at 375º. The fish I cut into 8 pieces and dredged them in flour then dipped in the batter.  I did 3 pieces at a time at 355º. I held them in the oil for a few seconds so they would float above the basket. About 3 minutes a side on the fish was all it took. Everything came out crisp and perfectly done.


Tartar Sauce

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
1 tsp prepared mustard

No comments:

Post a Comment