Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Carved Pumpkin and Pork Chops


Several kids commented on the pumpkin, it's inspired by The Scream. It was much easier this year.  Partly due to me practicing cake decorating and making other food decorations.  A Y shaped peeler and a fine knife are key. The knife I used was about 2" x 3/8" blade, thin and flexible. The key was starting out with a plan. In this case, The Scream. I cut the eyes, nose and mouth then carved the creaseas around the face. and finally the ears. The hair is inspired by Medusa, really I was just trying out the spiral corer or whatever it is. Also I cut the access hole in the back, which made everything much easier. It took about two hours overall.



I spent all afternoon doing the pumpkin so dinner was pretty basic.  I put

1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

in the mortar and crushed all the lumps. Then in a plastic bag and shook the chops individually to coat them. Ordinary mashed potatoes topped with sour cream and artificial bacon bits. Broccoli and carrots steamed and finished in butter and extra virgin olive oil.  The chops were fried but I could have sprayed them with oil and BBQ'd them. Fern's home made ketchup is the condiment.  Dinner was good, not great, but  good. Young people noticed my pumpkin, that's an achievement!

No comments:

Post a Comment