Friday, October 5, 2012

Southwest Snapper with Lemon Sauce


More house guests, partner's sister and brother in law this time.  They drove across the continent and are leaving Fern the car and flying home. We need more house guests like these!  They want fresh fish because they don't buy it in Montreal. Snapper is a great local, sustainable fish so I bought two large fillets.  I trim off any bits of skin still on the meat, it tastes fishy and unpleasant.  There are usually 5 or 6 bones down the middle of the fillet.  Start at the head end, which is not symmetric. The tail end is shown and it is symmetric. Use a pair of pliers to pull the bones through your fingers.  That way the meat stays on the fillet.

I seasoned it with my Southwest Rub this time but I thought it really needed more salt.  It probably always did but my palate is finally catching up to my skills and I can now identify what is missing. So here is my updated rub with double the salt.

 Southwest Rub

2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
4 tsp kosher salt (1 tbsp + 1 tsp)
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp cayenne

I fried the fish in a hot well oiled pan.  About 2 to 3 minutes per side but I watch the meat change color and texture as it cooks so I can turn it at just the right time. I had potatoes almost done and carrots and broccoli in the steamer when I started the fish. The lemon sauce was simple but really makes an impact.

Lemon Sauce

1 heaping tsp flour
1+ tbsp oil (enough to take up all the flour)
1/2 cup chicken stock
rind and juice of 1 to 2 lemons (rind optional, leave out if pressed for time)
1/4 tsp salt

Cook the flour and oil paste to remove the raw flour taste but don't brown the mixture.  Off the heat, add the chicken stock a little at a time, whisking it in till the paste turns to sauce.  Use more than half a cup if needed.  Back on the heat, next add the rind, juice and salt. Taste. If it's too thick use lemon juice, chicken stock or water to thin depending on taste. When plating, spoon sauce over the broccoli and fish. Delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment