Thursday, October 25, 2012

Poultry Paprika Chicken Breast


"This is delicious!" Fern said before I even took this photo.  Once I sat down he asked, "Did you find this somewhere or come up with it yourself? It's delicious!"
"I came up with it myself."

I started by boning the chicken breasts. It's actually quite easy to do if I start with a bone in chicken breast and a professionally sharpened knife. Hold the knife perpendicular to the high point of the breast bone. Slide the knife tip down the bone to the rib cage. Slide the knife along the breast bone, scraping the meat off.  The knife will slide along the cartilage just as well, if I cut into it I just find the edge again and keep going. Then use the ribs as a guide to scrape the meat off the rib cage.  Cut the tendons holding the meat to the shoulder bone. Finally, cut out the wishbone which extends from the shoulder joint to the breast bone. Feel around to find it all, it may be in two pieces or may be missing. Peel the skin off and I've saved 50% on the cost of  the meat. Plus I use the bones to make chicken stock for sauces all week long, saving even more money.

I put a breast in a plastic bag, unsealed skin side down and flattened it with a mallet till it was about double in size. In another plastic bag I put my seasoning.

Poultry Paprika Chicken Seasoning

In a mortar or small bowl put:

1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

Use the pestle or back of a spoon to break up lumps. Put in a plastic bag.

Coats two, maybe three breasts.

I shake each breast in the bag then lay it on a board and spray both sides with oil so I can BBQ it.  The oil will be in the pan if I'm frying it. I give it 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes turn over, 2 minutes rotate, 2 minutes and they're done to get nice grill marks.

The rice is plane white basmati with salt and a teaspoon of oil. Carrots and broccoli were steamed then finished over low heat in extra virgin olive oil with a little butter and salt and pepper. Simple and simply delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment