Thursday, January 24, 2013

Banana Bread



Whenever bananas go on sale for .49 per pound I buy a bunch for banana bread.  Last time I made it I used 4 bananas instead of 3 and really liked the result.  This time I had 3 large and 1 average size banana, overall a bit more than I had last time.  I went ahead with the regular recipe and when I took it out of the oven it had a nice crest, which subsequently fell.  It wasn't completely cooked.  Unfortunately it was cooked on top where I would have checked with a toothpick.  It wasn't quite done at the bottom where all the moisture had migrated.  Fortunately not fully cooked banana bread dough tastes great anyway so no harm done.  I don't know how to check for doneness at the bottom of the pan though.  Next time I'll try pressing on the top see how much it compresses.

Banana Bread

4 average size bananas
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup flour

Mix wet ingredients, then dry.  Bake in a parchment lined bread pan at 350ºF for 1 hour.  Test with toothpick.  If a few crumbs stick to pick it's done. Comes out clean, might be overdone and dry. If I had tested this I might have gotten a little dough on the pick to indicate it wasn't done, but not necessarily.  Hopefully experience will enlighten me.




No comments:

Post a Comment