Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Butternut Squash and angus rib eye steak


Fern is out of town so I'm eating alone.  That means I can have all the things Fern doesn't like! Angus rib eye steak with sauted mushrooms and zucchini. Baked potato with homemade yogurt and bacon bits and something I've never tried before, butternut squash.

I've been told the skin of Butternut Squash is edible but I had more than enough squash with less than half the flesh so I threw out the skin.  I cooked the whole thing and the other half still has skin if I want to experiment tomorrow.  I cut the squash in half, cleaned out the seeds and brushed the inside with walnut oil.  Chef David Bowes mentioned walnut oil while I was helping him make Christmas Dinner for clients of the Community Resource Center where Fern volunteers. I can't remember what he said but I think it had to do with vegetables so I picked up a bottle to try. I placed the oiled halfs cut side down on a baking sheet and put them in the oven at 350º for 45 minutes. When they were done I let them cool a little then scooped the squash out into a bowl with butter, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. It's a small amount of squash so just a sprinkle of the last two.  Mix it up and plate with the potato baked at the same time and the vegetables fried in one pan and the steak done in another.

The steak has my Southwestern Spice on it which also has a touch of cinnamon so the flavours go together well. The homemade yogurt instead of sour cream, it's way better and much lower in fat. The concession to fast food was the bacon bits.  I like them and it's easier than trying to keep cooked bacon on hand at all times.

So what did the butternut squash taste like? More like pumpkin than acorn squash. It's heavier than acorn squash so serve less. Overall it's nice but I like other squash better.

No comments:

Post a Comment