Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Frozen Homemade Yogurt


Once I tasted homemade yogurt and realized the store bought stuff was just a pale imitation, I knew frozen yogurt wasn't far off.  The other day I made a fresh batch of yogurt and I made an entire liter so I could put half of it in frozen yogurt. (my Yolife yogurt maker has a low lid for those baby food bottles and a high lid to make up to 4 liters at a time.) I simply replaced heavy cream with homemade yogurt in the ice cream recipe and added a little extra sugar.  I used 1% milk throughout.

Frozen Homemade Yogurt

1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups homemade yogurt
1 cup milk

Churn as for ice cream. The texture is a bit lumpy so I'll have to work on that but the flavor is out of this world.  There is little fat so it is light like a sorbet.  The flavor of fresh milk is transformed and made better by the culture which also adds an acid tang. I served it with an oatmeal cookie. Fern took one spoonful and started waving his arms expansively saying "Wow, this is incredible!"  

His reaction was so over the top I thought he was being sarcastic but no, he LOVED it! So did I, this is something to take to Chef Dave at the Laughing Oyster. He doesn't have time to experiment so he is quite happy to share in my discoveries. I gave him food toys (pre gelled starch, xanthan gum) for Christmas with instructions how to use them. He loved them.  He phones us to offer free buffet if he has musicians but not many reservations because he knows we'll tip the servers and musicians. This is a perfect example of how generosity pays you back. A lesson it took me too long to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment