Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Rack of Pork




My regular store was closed today so I had to shop at another.  I saw the frenched rack of meat and immediately said, "rack of lamb". I perused the remaining counter and the lamb looked like the best bet so I picked it up and went over to get some mint in the produce section.  It wasn't till I got home and took the meat out of the bag that I noticed it was pork. Rack of Pork? Who makes that? Too late now.

So I had to make it work. I got out a small bowl and added 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp oil, 1 tbsp molasses and 1 tsp stock.  I mixed that up and painted it over the entire roast, put two bay leaves and a sprig of rosemary on top, then put it in the oven at 375º. When the meat thermometer started chiming I took the roast out and covered it in foil on the counter. I had the potatoes boiling on the stove and the veggies in the steamer.  When the potatoes and veggies were done  I whipped up the mashed and put the carrots and cauliflower in the steamer pot with butter and extra virgin olive oil on medium low heat. Toss the veggies in the oil to coat them and cook the oil a little. I plated the meat with a dollop of homemade apple sauce and served it.  For unbrined last minute pork, it wasn't bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment