Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chicken Fried Rice with Chop Suey


I like a good stir fry and it's a great way to get plenty of fresh vegetables. This plate included green pepper, mushrooms, bean sprouts, celery and onions. I cubed up  two chicken breasts and put them in a plastic bag for later. I prepped all my vegetables and sorted them into two rows, one for each pan.  A little green pepper and celery in the rice row, remainder in the chop suey.  Half an onion diced large and half the mushrooms in each row. I washed the bean sprouts and set them to drain. I got rice going, usually rice is cooled before frying but I didn't get started early enough.  The rice quality will be a little less but not unpalatable.

I put two tablespoons of flour in the bag with the chicken, opened it wide to get as much air as possible then twisted it shut at the top.  I shook the bag till every piece of meat was evenly coated.  Each handful of chicken had to be shaken to get the excess flour off.  If I had any more chicken to do it would have been worth using the sieve. Two large frying pans with oil and a few drops of sesame oil.  Plenty of hot oil in the rice pan when I put the chicken in it.  I browned all sides then put the mushrooms in this pan and also in the other pan for the chop suey. When the mushrooms had a good sear I added the onions and celery to both pans.  Gave them a minute to soften before adding the green pepper to both and bean sprouts to the chop suey. Soy sauce in both pans before I added the rice to the chicken Finally, just before everything was done I added a teaspoon of Oyster Sauce to the rice and a tablespoon to the chop suey. More soy sauce if needed and plate the dishes.

Oyster or fish sauce sound and smell awful but just a little can bring a depth of flavor to a dish that can't be found any other way. I added just enough to deepen the flavor of the rice but not enough to taste the oyster.  The chop suey had enough to taste the oyster, but it didn't overwhelm the dish. Each dish managed to maintain it's own identity despite similar ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment