Saturday, January 26, 2013

Yogurt Butter Tarts


I decided to make butter tarts before checking to see if I had any cream, usually I do for the ice cream maker, but this time the fridge was bereft of cream.  Hmmm. I could use the rest of the homemade yogurt instead, it should work, so that's what I did. 

Pie Crust - 2 layers

2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup shortening

1 large egg
2 tbsp cold water
1 tbsp vinegar

Cut the shortening into the flour and salt till it is oatmeal textured.  In a separate bowl whisk the egg, water and vinegar.  Slowly add half the liquid to the meal and stir with a fork.  Continue adding liquid till all the flour is taken up but don't get the dough wet and sticky. Cover and put in the fridge for 30 minutes at least. 

Yogurt Butter Tart Filling - 12 tarts

1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup yogurt or 10% cream

Flour the work space and roll out half the dough to nearly 1/8 inch (3mm) thick.  Cut it into rounds with   something large enough.  I'm using a Wilson's 12 muffin pan and a 500ml yogurt container cuts just the right size circle. Something more rigid would be better but that is all I have. Lay the round over the pan depression and push the edges towards the center so it falls down into the mold. Gently press the sides and bottom down. If I lay a round and press in the center it tends to poke a hole in the dough. Brush the inside of each tart with melted butter then fill them all. Preheat oven to 400ºF and put the tarts in.  Immediately turn the heat down to 350ºF and bake 20 minutes.  When the pastry has browned some they are done.  If they aren't done there will be raw pastry at the bottom, bleck.

When they were cooled down I tasted them.  They were less rich thanks to no cream and the yogurt left a little acid that I think enhanced the flavors, still up for debate though. I think my dough was a little too wet and that's why some of the tart pastry looks exploded. It still tastes good though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment