Thursday, January 3, 2013

Homemade Yogurt


I gave Fern a yogurt maker for Christmas.  I researched them a bit and bought the most versatile machine, Yolife.  It has a low and high lid so it can make small or large batches of yogurt, sour cream, creme fraiche or buttermilk. Making reasonably priced creme fraiche is appealing, might be nice on baked potatoes just to start. I bought a six pack of yogurt starter and this variety doesn't gel fully, it remains fairly watery.  Thick yogurt may have had the whey drained off, time and experimentation will tell. I used a Mandarin orange in each bowl and my yogurt was flavored with 2 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp vanilla. I tasted the yogurt plain and it was tangy but nicer than store bought yogurt. I tried to make yogurt without a yogurt maker and it didn't work at all, it's impossible to keep the temperature exactly where you want it on a stove top.

I've tasted the yogurt several times and read a bit more on it.  I never really liked plain yogurt but this homemade batch is much better tasting.  It is sweet with a little tang from the acid and quite runny.  Commercial yogurts have thickeners in them. I have thickeners too so I'll try that next time.  At least I now know I like the taste of fresh homemade yogurt, that's a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment