Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Breaded Pork Cutlet


It was a white meat day so chicken, fish or pork.  I didn't feel like fish and the chicken wasn't on special. There was a package of tenderized pork cutlets for less than $3.  I can work with that and the price is right! I picked it up, got a few more items and headed home.

Last time I made breaded pork I used left over egg whites and corn flour which resulted in a tasty, crunchy, battle hardened crust. Literally, it went tink tink when I hit it with my knife! This time I used wheat flour, in a plastic bag I put:

Pork Cutlet Rub

1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder (unfortunately I was out or I would have put it in)
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme 
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp flour
pepper

I shook the cutlets in the bag and set them aside. I whipped an egg in a bowl and readied another plastic bag with Alpine Bread crumbs.  Panko or any bread crumbs will work but I put my stale alpine bread in the food processor to produce a wonderful nutty panko like breading.

I had the potatoes on boiling and the carrots and broccoflower  ready to go in the steamer.  My frying pan was hot with plenty of oil. I used one hand for the egg and the other hand for the breading to pan.  One at a time I dipped the seasoned cutlets in egg to completely coat them then shook them in the bag of alpine bread crumbs. Drop the end of a breaded cutlet into the deepest oil and drag it and the oil up the pan, then drop the cutlet in the oil. This should prevent it from sticking. Repeat with next cutlet. I set the vegetables in the steamer and took a breath.

I had to rotate the cutlets over the heat in the center of the pan to brown them evenly. It probably took 10 minutes to fully cook the cutlets at a bit over medium heat.  I drained and mashed the potatoes and when the veggies were almost done I ran them under cold water to stop cooking and put them in a pan with extra virgin olive oil to reheat. 

I plated everything and dressed the cutlet with a dollop of Fern's homemade French Canadian ketchup containing tomatoes, pears, onions and spices. The breading was crisp, not armor like and the seasoning was very good. The alpine bread comes through as a nutty crisp coating, excellent on almost anything! Overall, a very good  meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment