Monday, February 18, 2013

Pineapple Coconut Chicken Curry


Boneless skinless chicken breasts were on special and I felt like curry so I grabbed a pack and headed home. First, I put rice on to cook. Then a diced onion caramelized and removed from the pan. Next, a finely diced stick of celery was sweated then removed from the pan. The chicken was diced and seasoned with:

1 tsp flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt

I seared the chicken all round then added 2 tablespoons of curry powder and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. I rolled the chicken around in the curry powder and added 1/4 cup chicken stock to make a thick slurry. Next add 1/2 can of coconut milk and 1/3 can drained pineapple pieces. Bring to a boil and add the sweated vegetables back in.  Add frozen peas and I had some frozen diced sweet peppers from the garden so a few of those went in to. I added a dash of oyster sauce but I couldn't taste it directly so I'm not sure if it helped the dish or not. Didn't seem to hurt anyway. I brought it all to a fast simmer and reduced the liquid by half.  

While the curry was boiling down I grated a carrot, sprinkled white balsamic vinegar on it, added a few raisins and ta da! A lovely salad garnish. It was nice but would have been better done with rice wine vinegar and sugar or maybe Kirin, a Japanese citrus  vinegar. (but I don't have any) I think it almost looks like a composed dish which means I am making progress. We both cleaned our plates so it must have been good!


No comments:

Post a Comment