Saturday, February 23, 2013

Brined Pork Sirloin


I was going to make chicken and use the bones to make stock but when I got to the store I found boneless skinless chicken breasts were on for $11/kg and bone in skin on breasts were also $11/kg. I'm not paying the same amount for bone in meat as bone out meat, that's ridiculous! Also, bone in chicken breasts should be about $7/kg so somebody made a mistake. I should have called the manager over and asked him to confirm the price but instead I just walked down to the pork section and bought a small roast for $4.

I went home and put 4 cups of cold water in a bowl and added 

Pork Brine per cup water

1 tbsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp molasses

I used the immersion blender to dissolve the salt. The roast must be completely covered with liquid and put in the fridge. I brined the pork for about 3 hours but it can be left for up to 2 days. I dressed it with 4 bay leaves, a sprig of rosemary and one of thyme. Then I roasted it at 300ºF for about 2 hours till the internal temperature reached 170ºF 

Mashed potatoes and frozen corn with fresh carrots complete the dish and I added Fern's Ketchup as the condiment. Fern was looking forward to chicken so he was surprised at the pork but he like it anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment