Saturday, February 16, 2013

Snapper with Quick Rub


Snapper was on special and I was in a fish mood so I bought a nice fillet. I suggested french fries but Fern had bacon for breakfast and that was enough grease for the day, so it's mashed. Carrots and broccoli done in the steamer, stopped in cold water and finished in a pan with extra virgin olive oil. I used my kitchen pliers to pull the bones out of the fillet, there are always a few in the center head end of the fillet. I didn't have any seasoning made so I quickly mixed up in the mortar:

1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
pepper
1 tsp flour 

give it a quick mash with the pestle to break up any lumps and generously season both sides of the fillet. Shake excess off and lay the fillet in plenty of hot oil.  Timing depends on thickness so just watch the change in texture as it cooks.  Turn it over to brown both sides. Serve with fresh lemon juice. My snapper was a little over done but not dry so it was quite delicious. A nice quick meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment