Thursday, February 21, 2013

Ginger Pork with Pineapple Peanut Sauce


I found a pack of sirloin pork chops on sale at the store so I picked it up and immediately started thinking about how to season it. Maybe thyme and rosemary? I wasn't sure till I took the garlic and onion powders out of the cupboard and saw the ginger.  Now that would make an interesting pork dish so I mixed up a rub:

Ginger Pork Rub

1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mixed pepper
2 tsp flour

coat each chop and put in a pan of hot oil.  I turned and rotated them so they were evenly browned.

Mashed potatoes were nothing special, just butter and milk whipped in with a fork.  I never seem to get enough salt in the water and always have to add more to the potatoes. The carrots and frozen peas were done in the microwave because steaming them doesn't add enough to warrant the extra work. Broccoli is another story. 

Once I had everything cooking I had some extra time so I pulled the pineapple pieces out of the fridge and put a tsp of flour in a small sauce pan. To the flour I added 2 tsp of oil and mixed it into a paste which started to bubble a bit. After a minute to cook off the flour taste, I took the pan off the heat and added a tablespoon of canned pineapple juice, quickly followed by 2 tablespoons of milk.  Next I added 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and a tsp of soy sauce. It was too thick so I thinned it a bit with more milk. I added a few pieces of pineapple and the sauce was complete.  Here is the complete list of ingredients:

Pineapple Peanut Sauce

1 tsp flour
2 tsp oil
1 tbsp canned pineapple juice
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp soy sauce
3 tbsp pineapple pieces

Fern complained the dish was under seasoned so it needs more soy sauce or salt or salt on the meat. He managed to clean his plate fairly thoroughly so once it had enough salt it was really good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment