Thursday, February 21, 2013

White Cake with Caramel Sauce


I made a simple white cake which I was going to frost with butter cream icing but Fern offered to make caramel sauce.

Simple White Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cream butter and sugar, beat eggs in one at a time.  Add remaining wet ingredients and beat. Add flour and baking powder, mix.  Pour the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment and put in the oven 35-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean of batter. A few crumbs are good, it means the cake will finish cooking outside the oven as it cools.

Fern's caramel sauce was grainy so I won't detail it here.  I haven't succeeded in making a good caramel sauce yet myself, so I'll leave the sauce till I make a successful batch. It tasted good and the cake was terrific!


No comments:

Post a Comment