Monday, November 18, 2013

Chicken Cordon Cheddar


I needed more chicken stock and we hadn't had chicken in a while so I picked up a couple of breasts.  I boned the breasts for stock and put the skins in the frying pan to crisp up for dog treats. I pounded the meat fairly flat and spread some leftover ground ham on it. Then I laid a small brick of Baldersons Extra Old cheddar. There is no point in doing all this work then putting no-name bargain bin cheese in it. Use your favourite. I rolled up the chicken and covered the outside with corn flour, forgetting that corn flour doesn't brown like wheat flour. I should have added white flour and pan seared the meat before putting it in the oven. Live and learn, again.

Fern isn't big on rich sauces so I left out the hollandaise and served with sweet vegetables instead. Fern also likes plain white rice but since I wasn't using a sauce I felt I needed to flavour the rice. I added 1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning to the rice and put it on to cook.  When the rice was done I tasted it and the seasoning was front and centre with no supporting background, not particularly good. Also a bit dull, it needed some acid. I had some white wine in the fridge so I put about an ounce in the rice, mixed it and left it on the warm stove to hopefully infuse the rice. It's not always successful to put uncooked wine on cooked food so I kept my fingers crossed.

Fern tasted the rice first and said it's really good! Whew! I pulled that one out of the fire.  He liked the chicken too except he would have preferred some of the Brie instead of cheddar. He didn't mention the vegetables, but that's better than a negative comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment