Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ham, Cauliflower, Potatoes, Onions Baked in a Cheese Sauce


Fern bought a ham yesterday, 2kg for $10, a really good deal! I bought a cauliflower and I already had shallots and Balderson's Extra Old Cheddar and of course, potatoes. I thinly sliced the potatoes and laid them on the bottom of 9x13 pan. I laid 2 shallots diced over them and mixed them in a bit.  Then I covered the potatoes with a layer of thin sliced ham.  Over that was a layer of cauliflower and then I poured cheese sauce over everything. I covered it with foil and put it in a 375ยบ oven for half an hour then took the foil off for another 45 minutes.

Cheese Sauce

1 1/2 cups grated cheddar
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup chicken stock
1-2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt

Melt butter and flour together and cook for a few moments. Remove from heat and add stock, whisk. Add milk, whisk, add salt, whisk. Back on the burner and when it's hot add the cheese.  When the cheese is all melted pour over the cauliflower, cover with foil and put in the oven.

This is comfort food so it doesn't have to be pretty. It does look a bit anaemic on the plate. I suppose a little parsley sprinkled over the top would have prettied it up a lot. A few green peas on the side would have looked nice too. By itself it tastes great and I just get lost eating it and forget the lack of colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment